Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Stupid Brain a.k.a. Dammit, I am gonna learn to lift!

So I've been reading about StrongLifts, Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been reading a whole whack of posts about people adding lifting to a keto diet and thinking "Man, I should try that!"

But my stupid brain kept saying fun things like, "You can't go to the gym and try that, you'll do it wrong and look like an idiot", or "trying that yourself is going to result in pain/injury because you are too inexperienced to try this."

Stupid Brain.

Hiring a trainer is not a possibilty money wise, so I had to keep thinking about how I was going to get this done. Then it hit me. I can ask someone I know for help. (I am not great at this, I love to do for other people, but have this 'I can do it all myself!' thing going on.)

I asked a coworker if we could meet up so that he could show me what to do and check my form. And he said absolutely, AND came to the Goodlife closest to my house on a Saturday afternoon.

Turns out I was able to follow instruction well, and my form is fine for a beginner. (I can't go to low in my squats yet, but I can work on this.) After a few sets, I was confident enough to do the rest of my sets on my own. Aaaaallllright! I am going to have to work my way up in weights, but I think I am ready to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment